BDM Silver achievement badge

Thanks Received
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here. Some of you may know me from other forums where I use the same name: Gary B

I have this packeted silver BDM proficiency badge in my collection but have read that the known s/n for these is much lower. There does not appear to be any indication of tampering to this piece to replate it....thoughts? Is it possible that many were made but not awarded? A friend has a similar example in his collection.

All opinions appreciated.

Gary B

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum.

In the ten years between the institution of the BDM achievement badges in 1934 and the award of BDM silver badge number 3849 in October 1944 the average award rate works out to 19 badges/month but between April and October of 1944 the rate shoots up to an average of 260/month. A silver level badge with the serial number 7529 that was shown on the forum here in 2009 (without documentation) may be an indication of an even higher average award rate as the end of the war drew near but a badge in the 90000 range is very unrealistic when you consider how slow the uptake of the BDM silver was.

The bag looks good but with such a high award serial it would more logically be for a bronze BDM as these definitely go all the way into six figures as I'm sure you know (the highest award number for the BDM bronze known to me (with supporting documentation) is 180470 - awarded 25.10.44). If the bag originally contained a bronze BDM with award serial 96332 it would have been awarded in late-1941/1942 acording to my lists.

If the badge looks otherwise good in your hand then the only logical conclusion for me is that it is indeed a bronze BDM achievement badge that has been silvered for profit.

No probs Gary. Is the number on your friend's badge also high?

I have asked my friend for the number on his badge and will let you/the thread know.

Gary B

Back